My sister and mom were out visiting for parents weekend. Nat is applying to BYU this week actually, and they wanted to come out to visit so that she could get a feel for the school. Since I've been dating John for 6-7 months now, (and I know that might not seem like a lot of time, but if you're LDS that is a decent amount of time...) we planned to have dinner at his house on Saturday about 30 min away. To make it even better, he has a brother that is a senior in high school, so we planned a double-date for John and I, and my sister and his brother.
We went bowling, and we were all terrible but had so much fun! We had other plans past that, but it was getting late so Nat and Jake headed back towards the house, and we left a few minutes after.
Driving back to John's house, we drove past the Mt. Timpanogos Temple, an LDS temple (like the one in Oakland). Before a temple is dedicated, you can actually walk through and see all of the rooms. I saw this temple a few years ago when it was new and it was beautiful, so we slowed down a bit as we were driving past.
As we were looking at the temple, I notice red lights flashing, and a cop was behind us pulling us over! Not to mention, we had to go through a lot of construction on the way back, and we had seen an ambulance and a few cop cars, so I was thinking there was some kind of heist or something. The cop told us to pull into the temple parking lot, and then took BOTH of our licenses. I was nervous, but not too much because we hadn't been speeding at all. I texted my sister while we waited, saying we had been pulled over and I wasn't sure when we would get back.
When the cop came back, he told us to get out of the car, and then he took John over to his truck and had him put his hands on his head. He asked me, "And how do you know this guy?"
By this point, I was sure there had been a mistake since we had seen a bunch of other cop cars, and I thought maybe they thought John stole the car or something because he couldn't find the right registration. I answered, "Well, he's my boyfriend... we've been dating a while and we go to school together." Then he replied, "Well, did you know there is a warrant out for his arrest? I might have to take him in with me tonight, wait right here."
So then the cop had John put his hands on the hood while he went to go inspect the car. I was pretty confused, but John looked just as surprised as I felt, and I was sure it had to be a miscommunication from the craziness of that night. Well, the cop came back, and he asked me to go stand on the curb while he talked to John. When he beckoned me back over, he got an important call on his radio, which meant he had to be somewhere else to respond immediately. He said, "I'll deal with you later," and zoomed off.
I thought he still had our licenses and was really confused, so I watched him drive off. With the temple in my view, I turned back to John to see what he thought about all of this, but to my complete amazement, he was on one knee with a ring!! Then the rest is history... I said yes, of course :)
. Though it may have not been my ideal proposal, we had gone ring shopping 3 weeks earlier, so I was expecting it, but he caught me completely off guard! And I was so happy that my mom and sister were able to be there, see the ring, and help plan the date with some of my extended family the next day!!
We went bowling, and we were all terrible but had so much fun! We had other plans past that, but it was getting late so Nat and Jake headed back towards the house, and we left a few minutes after.
Driving back to John's house, we drove past the Mt. Timpanogos Temple, an LDS temple (like the one in Oakland). Before a temple is dedicated, you can actually walk through and see all of the rooms. I saw this temple a few years ago when it was new and it was beautiful, so we slowed down a bit as we were driving past.
As we were looking at the temple, I notice red lights flashing, and a cop was behind us pulling us over! Not to mention, we had to go through a lot of construction on the way back, and we had seen an ambulance and a few cop cars, so I was thinking there was some kind of heist or something. The cop told us to pull into the temple parking lot, and then took BOTH of our licenses. I was nervous, but not too much because we hadn't been speeding at all. I texted my sister while we waited, saying we had been pulled over and I wasn't sure when we would get back.
When the cop came back, he told us to get out of the car, and then he took John over to his truck and had him put his hands on his head. He asked me, "And how do you know this guy?"
By this point, I was sure there had been a mistake since we had seen a bunch of other cop cars, and I thought maybe they thought John stole the car or something because he couldn't find the right registration. I answered, "Well, he's my boyfriend... we've been dating a while and we go to school together." Then he replied, "Well, did you know there is a warrant out for his arrest? I might have to take him in with me tonight, wait right here."
So then the cop had John put his hands on the hood while he went to go inspect the car. I was pretty confused, but John looked just as surprised as I felt, and I was sure it had to be a miscommunication from the craziness of that night. Well, the cop came back, and he asked me to go stand on the curb while he talked to John. When he beckoned me back over, he got an important call on his radio, which meant he had to be somewhere else to respond immediately. He said, "I'll deal with you later," and zoomed off.
I thought he still had our licenses and was really confused, so I watched him drive off. With the temple in my view, I turned back to John to see what he thought about all of this, but to my complete amazement, he was on one knee with a ring!! Then the rest is history... I said yes, of course :)
. Though it may have not been my ideal proposal, we had gone ring shopping 3 weeks earlier, so I was expecting it, but he caught me completely off guard! And I was so happy that my mom and sister were able to be there, see the ring, and help plan the date with some of my extended family the next day!!
Picture taken after the fact - but this is his police friend's car!
No comments:
Post a Comment